Monday, October 26, 2009

The Joy of a Crayon

As "normal" people, we have all held a crayon and colored. Marissa has not. I think that I have probably spent about $50 in various writing utensils, including every make of crayon known to mankind. She has always disapproved of holding or coloring with any writing utensil. So imagine, my dismay when tonight in her school folder I found that she has homework! Four homework pages that all have to deal with coloring, cutting, and gluing.

I reminded her that we have homework. She seemed excited. I sat her in her high chair, moved her up to the table, and took out what I believed to be the best of the 100s of crayons we own. We read the directions, she picked up the crayon and she colored! She colored! We did 3 out of her 4 pages. We colored, cut and glued! It was practically painless (although a bottle of wine was chilling in fridge)!

Success. Marissa loves school, now she loves homework. We are making some progress and are moving in a positive direction. It is simply amazing- the joy a crayon can bring to a child and a mother. Hmm, I wonder what we will do tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment