Thursday, October 29, 2009

Candy Walk Day

If you have a special needs child then you know going trick-n-treating is not really an option. You have to become creative with the costume, because they are not going to wear the store bought ones, and in and out of the car, or carrying them sometimes just isn't possible.

So today at school, they had a candy walk for all of the special ed pre-k and kindergarten classes. The children were dressed in Thomas the Train, skeleton, fire man, and one little boy dressed like a bunny. He looked like the kid from the "Christmas Story" and you could tell he hated every minute of it!

So let me set this up for you....

There were about 30 special needs children, about 20 parents/grandparents, and a hour of solid walking slumped! Fun, fun, fun. Some how I got my own child who at minute 30 began, "no more candy, no more candy" and a boy in her class that has some ticks and occasionally screams. The child in front of us, was grabbing the eraser to erase the blackboards and my child was taking off the papers of the children's desks. It was hot and a tad bit crazy. As the parents were moving the children in and out of the classrooms, I noticed that we all had a look in our eyes that said "I am doing this because....".

I volunteered to stay with her during her candy walk so that I could experience trick-n-treating with my daughter. Experiences that I think a lot of parents take for granted. It was worth seeing all the children dressed in their costumes and proudly getting their candy from the kids. I am doing this because even though she drove me crazy, I love her with everything that is in me and couldn't imagine her doing this without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment