Monday, October 10, 2011

Pre-Surgery Day.... Completed

I am not sure really what I expected today, but I didn't think we would be at UVA for four hours. First it was the Acute Nurse Practitioner. She was great. She gave us a lot of helpful information and walked us though what surgery day was going to look like. She took a spinal cord model and showed us exactly where the incisions would be and the process it would take to get to the fatty fillium. I will say that Steve was understanding this explanation, as soon as she said they were going to have to chisel a bone, I was done. Then the Neurosurgeon came in next. Not so positive that this is surgery is going to fix the problems we intend for it to fix. He was a "downer" of our day. Then we went to get her blood drawn. Marissa has very skinny arms, so the first prick in her arm didn't take the second one in her hand did. The nurses spoke Spanish to her and she loved every second of it. She cried a little but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Then we went and waited...waited...and waited some more for the Anesthesiologist. We first met with a resident, who had the personality of a door, and then we met with the doctor who looked like he had stuck his finger in socket when his hair was wet. But, in the end, all was approved and Marissa is set for surgery on Thursday.

Every time we are at UVA, I learn a little more about Marissa. She is not scared of much and I am overwhelmed by her courage. She knows that mommy and daddy are there and that is all she needs. I looked at her today while we were waiting and said to myself "how did I get so lucky". Even with all this chaos and anxiety, Marissa is amazing to me. She won the hearts of the doctors today and some of the patients.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing that she handles it so well! We are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete